The Detroit Jazz Festival Foundation and International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees Local 38 have teamed up to celebrate the opportunity inherent in Michigan’s college and music tech and theater programs. Music tech and theater programs encompass a curriculum of study, specific to non-performance majors. These skill sets in stage technician – from carpenters to electricians, from board operators to script supervisors – are all key to any successful live performance.
The 2019 Jazz Goes to College Scholarship seeks to reward the music tech student who has shown initiative, professionalism, and a positive attitude while continuing to pursue credits towards a music tech degree in this competitive and demanding environment.
The scholarship recipient shall receive:
- $2500 cash award for the 2019-20 school year, from IATSE
- Recognition on stage at the 2019 Detroit Jazz Festival, IATSE presenting the award during the festival’s award ceremony timeslot (usually Sun evening)
- Detroit Jazz Festival/IATSE may promote award winner in 2019 marketing materials, and social media
- Submissions to be reviewed by IATSE and DJFF. Scholarship recipient chosen by August 9th
- The Detroit Jazz Festival Foundation will provide the plaque for scholarship winner (given at recognition time, on stage by IATSE)
- This scholarship is for students currently enrolled in music tech and theater programs, as an incoming(matriculating) college sophomore, junior, senior. Program must be in the state of Michigan
- Application and associated documents must be received by 5 pm on Friday, August 2nd
- Student must have a university/college music faculty willing to affirm that the student is indeed attending said music tech program
- Student must upload two statements:
- Student: Tell us why you are interested in pursuing a career in music technology or production.
- Faculty: Tell us a little about this student and why you feel they would be successful in a music technology career.
- Applicant must be available to attend Detroit Jazz Festival Labor Day weekend award recognition ceremony:
- 8:30 p.m., Sunday, September 1, 2019 – Amphitheater Stage, Hart Plaza, Detroit, MI
Applicants must complete and submit form to apply: